Raising concerns

How to raise a safeguarding concern

Safeguarding means protecting people’s health, wellbeing and human rights, and enabling them to live free from harm, abuse and neglect. Safeguarding is everyone’s business.

Any form of abuse or neglect is unacceptable, no matter what justification or reason may be given for it. You can raise a safeguarding concern for an unborn child, child or adult by contacting your local authority. Their website should have a section explaining how to report possible abuse and neglect. Alternatively, call the main local authority number and say you want to raise a safeguarding concern.

Once you notify the local authority, they have a duty to respond appropriately, taking into account the views of the person concerned. They may initiate a safeguarding enquiry, or they may provide social care services or information and advice to help resolve the issue.

To find your local authority details please use the Contacts section on this app.